Friday, January 19, 2007

Wired for sound!


I just hooked up my new VOIP phone system.

I can't get over how easy it was. Took me all of 12 minutes and 10 of those were just because I had to wait for my cable modem to 'forget' its previous settings.

Usually, hardware and I do not get along but this thing was too easy.

My brother signed up for the same service and for some reason he can't seem to get it up and running. He was starting to scare me because I hadn't gotten my equipment yet and was anticipating a big production number to get it working. I still can't understand what his deal is.

The technology is pretty simple when you think of it. You plug this thing into your internet and your phone into it. It might be the equipment he chose. I went with the adapter/router, only because I was planning on getting a router to hard wire the boy into. I figured this would kill two birds and all that.

Any-whoo, it all went as smooth as silk.

Only thing was, I couldn't get a local number. They only have major city numbers so far, so anyone calling me would be calling long distance. At first I thought this would be a deal breaker but then it hit me. No more calls from people at 11 in the morning wondering what I am 'doing'. I work 5pm to 1am. What the hell do you think I am doing?

Now they will think twice before calling me just to 'chat'. If they wake me out of a dead sleep, at least they will pay for it. Good to know since I can't figure out how to strangle a person over the phone yet.

Yet.

No comments: