Friday, March 16, 2007

The clock is ticking.


"Thank you for calling the Undisclosed Technical Support Team™ my name is blah blah blah..."

"Oh thank God I got through to someone who speaks English." Ya, don't get used to it. "I have been working on this issue for 4 days, with 6 different technicians and I am sorry, I couldn't understand a word the last guy said."

"Ok, what seems to be the issue?"

"Oh, well the last guy had me doing this in the device manager, and that was the same thing the second guy was trying and I couldn't get him to understand that..."


As he was talking I was opening up all the other notes from the other techs. Holy crap. Usually I can look at what the previous tech put in the notes and figure out where he was going with it, but I had no clue. Finally I closed the notes.

"Dave, how about this? I am not going to read any of the notes, you just tell me what is happening. Let's start fresh."

"Ok." He pauses, deep breath."All I am trying to do is watch a video. My audio CD's work but this one will not play."

"Ok, is it a video you downloaded?"

"No I bought the CD."

"Ok, you have it there with you?"
I am upbeat, from experience I think I already know this will be a simple call.

"Ya."

"Just read what it says on the face of the CD."

"Yoga For Golfers....Blah Blah Blah....DVD....."
That is all I needed to hear.

"Ok, let's pop that bad boy in the drive."

"Ok. Here we go."

"Ok, Wait!"

"What?"

"Your about to hit the little button on the drive?"

"Ya."

"Ok, Tell me what it has written on the face of that drive."

"Uh, Creative. Uh, looks like Dolby. Some numbers and CDROM."

"Is that the only drive you have?"

"Ya."

"Cool, I will be closing this case then as not resolved. Since it turns out this is a hardware issue."

"What? How can you tell?"

"Well you are trying to play a DVD in a CD drive."

"Holy Shit! Are you kidding me?"

"Nope, its like trying to play a 8 track in a VCR, just not going to work."


Closed the case in 13 minutes. But I doubt he was very happy about his experience over the last few days.

Sorry for your loss, but you had better get used to it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

4 days, huh. Yup, that sounds about right. LOL. Too funny.

part-time thinker said...

I know this was more about the bad service, but this guy was a crayon if I ever heard of one. Four days and he didn't do any thinking of his own in his spare time? My Mother can barely turn her pc on and off and I think she would have figured it out sometime on day 2.

Evel said...

In his defence, CD's look the same as DVD's. How was he to know there were different players for both.

The techs however, are paid to know.

Anonymous said...

hehehe i had to instruct my father on inserting a cd the other day...yes dad hit the button beside that indent. ok see the tray? put the cd on there...no no shiny side DOWN... *sigh* so hard not to laugh sometimes lol

part-time thinker said...

Right, but he knew it was a dvd, it would be like him putting it in a boombox and wondering where the screen is. I remember when I didn't know that cd-rom would play cds, so I'm only being hypocritical mocking the guy!