Monday, June 26, 2006

The gift that keeps on giving.


Bacteria, that is. My sister is in hospital. They have penciled her in for valve replacement at the end of the week.

Want to know the bitch of it? She could have avoided it. Seems her particular condition is caused by an infection that was left to long and eventually made its way to her heart.

It may be an infection that she picked up in India. Although she was very careful while she was there and did not feel sick till these past 3 weeks. Unfortunately, she did not seek medical attention at the first sign of illness. She is one of those (like me) who avoids doctors like the plague. However, if I had been sick for as long as she was I think, even I, would have gone to the doctor.

But that is water under the bridge. She is now at the QEII awaiting surgery on her heart. She told me that she was given a choice on valves. A steel one or the one from a pig. She opted for steel. It could be the welder in her but I suspect that it had more to do with having a dead animal part flapping away in her chest. Just, eeeww. She is most freaked out (at least that is what she says) about the scar that she is bound to have.

"Hey, you should ask if, while they are in there, they can give you bigger boobs."

"Ya, or at least make them perkier."


The good news is that this particular surgery is pretty common at the QEII. They do it on a regular basis. I am told more often than a tonsillectomy.

Even so, I am still worried. All the doctors look like they just stepped out of a classroom. I would much rather they look like Marcus Welby than Doogie Howser.


Actually I would really rather Dr. Kovac but that's another fantasy.

No comments: