Thursday, April 27, 2006

The children are our future.


Observed at the Undisclosed Customer Service Center™.

"Quick, Ami, look right!" Ami responds by promptly whipping her head around to the left. I start to chuckle.

"What?"

"You looked left."

"Really?"
Then (I kid you not) she raised both hands in front of her face making L shapes with her thumb and forefinger. (Allow the boy to demonstrate.)



She studies her fingers intently, "Huh, your right."

"On my planet, we can distinguish right and left without the use of sign language."

This sparks a disturbing discussion on righty tighty, lefty loosey and how to tell how many days are in a month by figuring out which knuckle it corresponds to.

The knuckle thing was one I hadn't heard before, so, not being able to pass up an opportunity to ridicule a superior, I asked one of the TM's. "How many days in July?"

He looked at me for a second, perplexed, then made a fist and proceeded to count it out on his knuckles, which was met with laughter from the team.

"So, that's why I can't get a TM job. I don't know the knuckle thing."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

But, aren't there 12 months in a year? Do Canadians have more knuckles than Americans?

Anonymous said...

You can't tell which way the train went just by looking at the track.

Evel said...

you need to try it, start with a knuckle, and count off the months,forefinger knuckle is January, next in between is Feb. All the knuckles are 31 days and in between are not.

and you use both hands, its nuts, but it works

Anonymous said...

You know what.. I just heard about the knuckle thing too.. from our FES (foreigh exchange student).. in Germany that do that!