Tuesday, April 25, 2006

As promised, the TV story.


Short back story. My sister left her husband. Got a boyfriend, moved him in. Left for India, broke up with boyfriend. Comes back from India, gets back with husband.

Now she has to get rid of boyfriends stuff. Namely a huge flatscreen TV.

I go to visit her one night and she asks me to deliver the TV. I agree and the TV gets put into the backseat of my car,(not by me) I notice it is broken. Looks like the cable was ripped from the back of it. Nice. "Uh, the TV is broken. Maybe he doesn't want it back?" She will find out where his is living and call me with instructions.

A week later, the TV is still in the backseat of the car. Why, you ask? Because it is a huge TV and I don't think I can lift it. And even if I do, where would I lift it to? I live on the second floor, I am not carrying that monstrosity up the stairs into my apartment only to carry it back down when my sister figures out what to do with it.

So, after a week, the landlord is here and I ask him to put it in the barn. He and his friend carry it into the barn. Can't ruin it since it is already broken. No sooner is this done and the landlord is gone, but I get a call from the sister. Seems the boyfriend does not want the tv back. Great.

"So, do you want to buy it from me?"

"What?"

"You were going to get a new TV, you want to buy that one from me?"

"You want me to buy the free broken TV?"

"Ya."
Remember this is my sister talking.

"The TV you essentially got for nothing, then broke. You want me to buy that TV?"

"Ya, well I got bills that I need to pay."


So, I forget that we are sisters, (since she clearly has) and we agree that if it can be fixed, I will buy it. It is a really good deal if it can be fixed. "How much do you want for it?"

"How much were you going to pay for a new one?"

"One Fifty."

"Cool"


So, I take it to be fixed. Eighty Three dollars and ninety cents later, I have a new TV.



Here's where the injury comes in. This is a huge tv (not even sure how big), and I haven't had a tv in the living room that works properly for a long time. Add to that that this one has SVideo so I can hook it up to the computer and watch my movies, so I want it in the house as soon as possible. No time to wait for someone to help. I carry this monster up two flights of stairs and I hear something crack. Its not the tv.

But hey, I spent the whole day and night flat on my back watching my new tv.

And another thing...


The reason I am in the wrong business, the bill for the tv reads like this:
Shop supplies - $6.00
RCA type terminal - $6.95
LABOUR - $60.00
Total after tax - $83.90

It is important to note that I dropped the TV off at 1pm and he called me to pick it up at 3pm. I am not stupid and I figure it wasn't the only thing he was working on and he didn't bump me to the front of the line just because I am so cute. I figure it took him maybe half an hour to fix it. And if he couldn't fix it he still gets to keep the $20 deposit I left, just for looking at it.

Maybe I need to look into a career in electronics repair.

No comments: