Monday, July 25, 2005

Baldry won't be back this time.




Long John Baldry


When I was a teenager, this guy was it for me. We would all sit around smoking weed and listening to 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'. I don't care who has done it before or since, his version was the best.

A couple years ago I had to spend months on eBay trying to replace one of his cd's. I remember how excited I was to finally find it. I played 'Baldry's Back' till the boy threatened mutiny.

Back before the dawn of video and MTV, artists had to rely on talent not hype. I don't think we even knew what he looked like back then. He was a great talent and that is all we based our opinion on.

It is sad when you have to let go of that. Video's are cool and all but now a days anyone with a couple bucks and a bellybutton ring can get themselves a record deal.

Sadly missed, but never forgotten.


Long John Baldry
1941 - 2005

1 comment:

Jay said...

It's sad when musical artists are now known not for the music, but for the look; and though there is a lot more glitz and glamour, you have to wide through a lot of , ahem, poor stuff, to find anything worth listening.
You write a fitting tribute.