Sunday, April 1, 2007

SO, WHERE YA FROM?

Inspired to learn more about the places from which my lurkers hail! I have been gathering names of countries from which I am getting hits on my blog. I intend to educate myself (a little bit) on the specific regions that my lurkers are coming from. And I think I will start off with one I had never heard of before. Ever.

Since I will never get on a plane again (long story) there is little chance I will ever go to any of these places, so I rely on the CIA - World Factbook for my information.

I also wanted to see if I was reaching each of the 50 states as well as each of the provinces and territories of Canada. So far I have a list of 45 US states and 10 of the 13 Canadian provinces and territories.

So without further ado, we start off the soon to be infamous series...
'So, where ya from?' with...[drum roll, please]

Tunis, Tunisia

Officially the Tunisian Republic.
Tunis is located in north-eastern Tunisia on the Lake of Tunis, and is connected to the Mediterranean sea's Gulf of Tunis by a canal which terminates at the port of La Goulette / Halq al Wadi. The ancient city of Carthage is located just north of Tunis along the coastal part.
Tunisia is in northern Africa, between the Mediterranean Sea and the Sahara Desert. It is bordered by Algeria in the west and Libya in the south-east. Much of the land is semi-arid and desert. The north of the country is mountainous, with a climate that is temperate with mild, rainy winters and hot, dry summers. The south of the country is dominated by the Sahara desert (40% of the country in fact).

SOME TRIVIA:
* The Monty Python movie Life of Brian was filmed in Tunisia.
* Portions of The English Patient were filmed in Tunisia.
* Four of the Star Wars films (Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones, Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope) were partly filmed in Tataouine, in the Tunisian Sahara. These scenes took place on the planet Tatooine.
* Desert scenes in Raiders of the Lost Ark were filmed in Tunisia.


Call me a geek, but what I found the most interesting was that out of a population of 10,175,014, only 953,800 are internet users. And one of those people found their way here.

So, if you are sitting somewhere in Tunis, surfin' the net and you are reading this?

"MarHaban". Welcome. Glad to have ya.

And another thing...

And as for the US and Canada?....A big "Hello" to the folks in Pocatello, Idaho and Whitehorse, Yukon Territory.

No comments: