Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Another prequel disaster.


I watched Exorcist the Beginning today with the boy. He wanted to watch in the daytime because I told him how terrifying the original Exorcist had been.

Well, we could have watched this slop in a haunted house, it fell flat. Not really sure where they went wrong, I guess if I hadn't seen the exorcist and known it, I wouldn't have gotten most of the plot. I think brand new viewers would be lost.


REVIEWS:
"Exorcist: The Beginning" isn't a bad movie, it is just not a very good one. I give it a C+. by Robin Clifford (robin AT reelingreviews DOT com) Full Review

Almost entirely incomprehensible, Exorcist: The Beginning not only foregoes the straight-ahead, propulsive narrative minimalism of the first movie but also the creepy genius of its quiet, upper-middle class setting. by GEOFF PEVERE
MOVIE CRITIC, Toronto Star. Full Review

But don't take their word for it, see more reviews here. There seems to be a consensus. I was totally disappointed by it, and was so glad I downloaded it instead of paying good money to go the theatre.

The problem with this movie I think is that they don't focus on the religious aspect of the plot, which is what really gets ya, and I don't care what religion you are. I remember grabbing the bible afterwards and reading revelations. It made you think that their may be some truth to it, that is what makes it so scary.

My advice is rent the original and if you like it, move on to the Omen. Another really good nail biter movie.

No comments: