Monday, October 27, 2003

Same shit, different time of day.


I started my new shift at the Undisclosed Customer Service Center� today. Sort of hard to get used to waking up at a decent hour of the day and getting home in time to watch the tube.

The shift went well. It was busy all day but it seemed that the people who call through the day are a bit more......lets just say? Stable? That's not to say I didn't get any nutbars, but they were more often sane than insane. I did think that the shift seemed to go by quicker. I even had a trainee sitting with me. (heaven help her) She listened to a few calls including this one:
Welcome to the Undisclosed Customer Service Center� my name is blah blah blah...

"Ya, I need help reinstalling my Product A."

"Certainly, do you have the installation disc?"

"No."
WTF?

"Ah, how do you intend to reainstall sir?"

"Jesus Christ, that's what I called you for. Stop wasting my time and just get it done!"


<--CLICK-->

Boy is he going to be pissed when after an hour or so he realizes that I did not do what he told me to. You know, teleport myself into his room and install the software for him.

After that call I said to the trainee, who clearly looked stricken, "You take the next one, chances are you won't get two whacko's in a row." Talk about deer in the headlights. I told her I would talk and she could work the tools, and I promised her I would talk slow. Luckily I got a decent guy who didn't get pissed off when I did this.

Sometimes we talk slow during the last call of the night so we can drag it out till closing. You know, if it is 5 minutes to closing, we don't want to finish in 4 minutes and have to take another call at one minute to. They always turn out to be some nut case that won't shut up and deal with the fact that we are closing and I can't put them through to technical support. So for the last call we try and drag it out and some people get very irritated at that. I had one guy try and tell me that I was trying to stall him till the cops got there. This is what I deal with every day.

I love my job. It is never boring.

No comments: