Friday, July 18, 2008

What is really the first thing to go?



I was watching the third season of Grey's Anatomy and suddenly realized I had a burning desire to do something else.

I click over to Firefox and ...

Nothing...

I totally drew a blank. Even now I am struggling to remember what the hell I was going to do.

What if I had just discovered the cure for cancer? Or maybe just the common cold. What if I had something really earth shattering to say or suddenly had an epiphany about some company's stock I should buy? Gone, forever.

They say the mind is the first to go, well I wouldn't know, since I can't really remember. I know my eyesight is shot, I have to hold the newspaper at arms length as it is now. I buy my glasses at the drug store only because I refuse to get an eye exam. To do that I would have to admit I am going blind, and I am still cruising down that river in Egypt.

My joints are shot, partly from age but mostly from maintaining my fat chick status for the past 15 odd years. (But I am working on that one) The list goes on, but I won't bore you.

More and more, though, its my memory that I find is getting worse. Short term memory mostly. I am sure you all have had that incident, you know the one, you go to the kitchen to get something and stop dead. What was I coming in here for? Then you have to backtrack to where you thought of this errand and then you remember it. Or you are watching a TV show, the commercial comes on and for the life of you you can't remember what program you were watching? No? It's just me then.

I began this blog to preserve my long term memory. Recently I was killing some time adding tags to old posts and I have to tell ya, after only 6 years I find myself looking through the archives and not recognizing a post. Did I write that? I don't remember that happening. Oh, stories from my childhood I remember, but what happened on this day last year? The day to day shit? Lost. Unless it was earth shattering, its lost.

What was I talking about? ...

Oh ya, (thank God In scroll up) I find myself saying something absolutely hilarious to someone, to the point where they are squirting milk from their noses and by the time I get home, it is totally gone from my consciousness. Lost. I can't tell you how many times I have planned to purchase a mini tape recorder for just such occasions. But, alas, the plan to purchase that recorder also gets lost.

I guess the cold cure will just have to be discovered by someone else, someone with one of those mini recorders I'll bet.

No comments: