Thursday, May 24, 2007

Couldn't pay me to stay...so they pay me to leave?

We are heading into the slow season at the Undisclosed Customer Service Center™. Not for the whole center but for my project in particular, summer is very slow. Early releases are rampant. Meaning, its slow so you can take the day off. Which is fine if you can use some vacation time that you have built up or barring that you can afford to take an unpaid day off. I can do neither.

I have no vacation time left accrued and I can't afford to take unpaid time off. I just can't. This is my rent check week. With this in mind, I head to work with absolutely no intention of leaving until my scheduled shift is over. Period.

The best laid plans:
5:00 - Sign into the phone. Sit and wait.
5:22 - Floor coordinator comes down the row with a clip board. "You wanna go home?" I think he is kidding. He is not. "Dude, I can't go home, I have only been here 22 minutes."
5:40 - A manager (not mine)comes up to me. "You wanna go home?" They are killing me, "No! I can't afford it, get away from me!"
6:00 - Take my first break.
6:15 - Back from break, my own manager is at my desk. "Want to extend your break? Til tomorrow at five?" Seems that no one will take an early release today. "NO! I can't afford it so stop asking."
6:25 - The Big Giant Head is walking around giving out suckers. He offers me one. "What do I have to do for it?" I was kidding. He says, "Nothing, you just have to go home." I decline the sucker, "What is it with you people?"
6:40 - Still no call. Another manager approaches me. "Before you even start, the answer is no!" He looks puzzled, "You don't want to go home?" I just shake my head, "I can't afford to go home." "But you can take paid time off?" "No, I don't have any vacation time accrued." "Wait for a moment." and he walks away.
6:50 - Manager returns, "Your approved." Wait just a minute, "You are going to pay me to go home?" "Yes." "You told him I have no vacation time accrued?" "Yes, he approved your pay." I am not falling for it. "Show me the paperwork, and I am outta here."
7:00 - I drank the koolaid.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahaha i was sooooo poor by the time i quit there. i didn't care what had to come out of my pay, i couldn't handle being in there any longer than i absolutely had to lol definitely took advantage of the ers!

Unknown said...

Yeah, but what a way to go!

Anonymous said...

That could be one of the greatest things ever!

Anonymous said...

Gratuitous post to bump non-lurker status :D