Sunday, March 20, 2005

Trailer Trash, not just for trailers anymore.


The boy's team finished 3rd in the last tournament of the hockey season yesterday. They won the last game against a team that they never won against all year so it was doubly exciting. However, all was not fun and games and the parents of the other team showed a lot of us what not to do at a child's hockey game. Just thought I would post a copy of a letter I promptly sent to the editor of the local paper.

To the Editor:

I just have to write to express my disappointment and disgust at the conduct of the New Glasgow Bantam B parents at a recent tournament held Trenton this weekend.

I realize that things can get heated when you are routing for your favorite team but booing a 14 year old when he is receiving a medal is a bit beyond classless.

In two different games that Trenton had against New Glasgow, the New Glasgow parents showed poor taste and even poorer sportsmanship when they cheered a certain Trenton player when he got a penalty. Now, that can be chalked up to the heat of the moment during a tournament game,but after the games were over and the children were lined up to receive awards and medals, these parents went above and beyond tasteless.

As this particular boy was called up to receive his award, the New Glasgow parents booed him. I am sorry, but this just rubbed me the wrong way and if it had have been my son, they would have been hearing about this long before this letter was printed. What kind of an example are these people setting for their children? If I were the parent of this child I would demand an apology from the New Glasgow Minor hockey for the conduct of the parents at this tournament.

You know what? Even though it was not my son, I still demand it. Wrong is wrong, and they should be ashamed of themselves. We all signed contracts when our children were registered for hockey and they broke that contract.

The Fair Play Code of Ethics is to be followed by the PCMHA membership. Their own website states: Respect the Rules, Respect the Opponents, Respect the Officials and Their Decisions, Have Everyone Participate, Maintain Your Self-Control at all Times.

Clearly they do not practice what they preach.

Regards,

Evel Woman
Trenton Bantam B Parent

And how was your weekend?

No comments: