Monday, January 27, 2003


THE END?

Ok. I have had time to process and I would like to explain what happened on Friday.

I arrived at work shortly before 9am. All was pretty normal, not much different than any other day. The boss had me type up a few letters and fax them off, then I finished the payroll and was about to dig in to my data entry, it was about 10:30am. He came down the stairs and was looking for something so I helped him find it.

Then he sat down. Here is our conversation:

�We are going to be making some changes around here. And unfortunately, they will not include you.�

Just like that. I was stunned for a minute. �Are you kidding?�

�No�

�Just like that?�

�Ya, just like that?�

�As of when?�

�Right now�

�No notice?, Nothing?�

�What would be the point in giving notice?�

�Oh, I don�t know. Maybe I could find something else?�

�No, it has to be today, in fact you can pack up right now and go if you like.�


At this point I am still stunned, I don�t know what to do. All that is going through my head is the fact that I am self employed, which means, no unemployment insurance, no severance. I have been working for this guy for 7 years. Then I realized that I wasn�t upset. Which was strange, I was suddenly out of a job with only the pay check in my hand to my name, but I was not upset.

The truth was, I hated my job. I would go to bed on Sundays with dread about having to go to work in the morning. I really hated the thought of going back. But I suppose if this had not happened I would have suffered through a few more years, I probably would have never left on my own. But now, here it is Monday and I feel great.

I have enough work with my other clients to get me through a couple of months while I find something else. In fact I think I will take this opportunity to try something else. I have been in the same line of work since I left high school (about 18 years) and I am ready to try something different. I have updated my resume and have dropped off some in town, and am looking into going back to school.

It�s not an ending, it�s a beginning and I have to tell ya��.it feels good.

No comments: