Saturday, May 11, 2002

To buy or not to buy....that is the question.

The old girl is pretty much toast. I can have it fixed enough to drive but when the inspection is up, it will not pass. So I have to find another ride by the end of the year.

I guess when you have a clunker, you just have to know when to say when. How much is too much to sink into a car. I bought my New Yorker for $1000, and promptly put another $1000 into it in the first two months. Since then I have spent at least $2000 more on repairs in the last two years.

"When"

Now I am contemplating buying my brother-in-laws Explorer. I have always said I wanted a truck, I need a truck.

No one ever 'needs' a car, when they say they 'need' they always follow it with 'truck'. Usually to move or to move something.

Well I need one for the simple fact that I work in "Butt Fuck Nowhere", a small town just outside Middle of Nowhere. It's a dirt road full of rutts and potholes. On that road I have rattled off two mufflers, shocks, struts, and a couple of tierod ends, not to mention a half dozen ball joints.

I 'need' something a little more rugged, or I need to quit my job. Its sort of a catch 22, I need the job to pay for the repairs on the car that my job is directly responsible for. If I quit, I will save my car, but then I wouldn't need a car if I had no job. Come to think of it...I wouldn't be able to afford a car without a job.

So I guess I have to bite the bullet and buy. The problem is...I bought the New Yorker because I though the car I had at the time was on its last legs. I sold it to a kid going to college, he worked on it for a couple of days and that fuckin thing is still running. I saw it last week as I was standing on the street waiting for a drive. This time I will save myself the agrivation, I am selling the New Yorker to a junkyard for scrap.

Sweet revenge!

No comments: