Sunday, February 4, 2007

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.


"Thank you for calling the Undisclosed Customer Service Center™ my name is blah blah blah..."

"Finally, I've been on hold for you people for over an hour." It is on the tip of my tongue to say 'that's a lie' because I was sitting available for 5 minutes before the phone rang. And I love it when they say 'you people'.

I let it go. "I am sorry for that, how can I help you?"

"I don't know why you people make things so fuckin' difficult for people to use your software."
Again with the 'you people', do they realize how rude they are being?

I bite my tongue."What seems to be the problem." Translation: Can we get on with it?

"I am entering my product key and it says it is invalid. I paid good money for this and you give me an invalid key?"

I ask him what he is installing, he replies Product A. I ask him to read what it has written above the key he is using and it says Product B.

"That won't work, you need the key for Product A."

"Why won't this one work."

"It's a key, it opens the software. It's like trying to start your car with your cat."

"Well I don't have any other key."

"Let's take a look at the CD for Product A."

"There is no key on it."

"I know, just read everything it says on the face of the CD."

"What are you looking for?"

"Everything, top to bottom, left to right."
He gives a big sigh, like I am wasting his time.

"For re installation of software pre-installed on your PC, the manufacturer has removed the Certificate of Authenticity containing the product key from this package and has placed it on your PC..." he continues to read like he has no comprehension of what he has just read.

I interrupt him, "Ok?"

"Ok, what?"

"You want to read that again?"
He starts complaining, like he thinks I wasn't paying attention. He grudgingly reads it again slower, you know, so I can understand. And apparently this works for him, sort of.

"So they took the key off."

"And placed it where?"

"Oh."
His brain just caught up. However, his manners did not improve. "You could have made the directions easier to follow, would have saved me an hour on hold." How much more simpler does it need to be?

This guy is the reason there needs to be directions on shampoo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg i sooooo don't miss those calls! LOL

Knock knock - it's cancer! said...

hehe... sometimes it's the other way around. I just blogged about this call I made from work to get our computer fixed, a few days ago...it really did waste 20 minutes just for her to get me transfered to another department.

But, yes, there are stupid people everywhere. I hope you have the ability to laugh it off, instead of letting it ruin your day :-)