Sunday, February 29, 2004

Nothing to lose.


I have applied for a team manager position at the Undisclosed Customer Service Center�. I don't think I have a hope in hell of getting it, but I want to go through the process to see what it is like. And it will make it less stressful if I go through it a couple of times.

It's not that I think I can't do the job, or that I am not qualified, it's just that everyone and their fucking dog is applying, so the odds of me getting it are astronomical.

Anyway, it has been a while since I have gone through the interview process, and even though I did get an interview for the job I have now, I seemed to have blocked out parts of it.

Like the behavioral interview questions.

"What is your typical way of dealing with conflict? Give me an example." Punching them in the head at this point would not be acceptable, I'm thinking?

"Give me an example of a time when you had to make a split second decision. " Do I fall on my sword or just use my belt to hang myself.

"Give me an example of a time when something you tried to accomplish and failed. " Well, this isn't going exactly as planned.

"Tell me about a time when you missed an obvious solution to a problem. " Finally a question I have actual examples of. (a file cabinet full)

I feel like a fuckin' infomercial for the Popiel Pocket Evel. She slices, she dices, she leaps small children in a single bound!

I suppose all of this makes more sense than the old interview questions.

"Where do you see yourself in five years?" To which I reply,

"Your job looks pretty good."

No comments: