Saturday, May 10, 2003


New policy at the Undisclosed Customer Service Center�.

The management in their infinite wisdom have decided that we should warm transfer all customers. Warm transfer means that we actually call the new number, introduce the two parties and then hang up.

This is a really bad idea. Especially for OEM. If any of you have ever tried to call Dell or Compaq or any other computer manufacturer you are no doubt aware that their telephone menu systems are complete nightmares. To top it all off, I can�t work the phone worth shit.

Computers are no problem to me, but give me a phone with more than the obligatory number keys and I am a total vegetable.

After hooking three people in a row and sitting on hold for half an hour with Bestbuy I decided that I would change the policy for myself. No more warm transfers for me. It doesn�t work, anyway. The people I didn�t hang up on were people who had to call back because someone else had hooked them. So it isn�t just me.

This is a bad policy. Not only are we pissing the people off that we are hooking, but we are pissing the rest of them off because we are so tied up on hold with OEM that they can�t get through for hours.

No comments: