Saturday, March 10, 2007

And sometimes a cigar is not just a cigar.


I don't know if anybody remembers my failed attempts at trying to secure a management position at the Undisclosed Customer Service Center™ on the customer service side of the building. I never thought it would be so tough. I had management experience, I had been self employed for 7 years.

I was killing trees left and right. I would submit a resume, they would reject it for some idiotic reason (like I said I managed employees but didn't say that I came into direct contact with actual humans) I guess you can't assume anything, not even the possible intelligence of upper management.

So, I would revise that resume and get an interview. Then they would give me an equally retarded reason why the pizza guy got the job instead of me. Don't even get me started on the behavioral interview process.

I finally just gave up and opted to go into tech support instead. Then they come up with this new plan to fuck with me. They are starting a program to train people ahead of time for management positions so they will have a pool of trained managers when they need them. Instead of scrambling to fill a position when someone gets fed up and jumps ship.

Anyway I come into work last night and the Big Giant Head is sitting at a table with all the information in little packets, passing them out to people and suggesting they "Check out the great new opportunity!" Beside these packets is a large jar containing lollipops.

He passes me a packet, and a lollipop. I look at him, "Are ya kiddin' me?"

"What? Aren't you interested, Evel?" He has a baffled look on his face.

I look at the paper, "Are you trying to tell me something?"

"Huh?" He has no idea what he has done.

"You just passed me a sucker." We stare at each other.

And then the light bulb goes off. "For heaven's sake Evel, sometimes a sucker is just a sucker!"Is it? Is it really?

Doesn't anyone put any thought into anything anymore?

No comments: