Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Who were you in high school?

Some might disagree with me, but I was basically a stoner. Not one of the popular kids, but I never understood what that meant anyway. I am not sure if kids today realize that their popularity or lack there of is a scam perpetrated by a few kids with a little bit of marketing savvy and access to publication.

I mean, I would not be caught dead with one of the so-called popular kids. They were not what I, or any of my friends, would consider cool. Although if you looked at the year books you would think they ran the place. None of my friends ever got their picture taken for it. Of course we were stoned most of the time and wouldn't really want our pictures taken, but that's another story.

Oh, of course you would have the pre-requisite class picture, but none of the extra pics that show day to day life. Candid shots of the 'fun times' in high school. Looking at those year books you would think that we had never existed.

To be in those pics you had to be a 'popular' kid or be on the year book committee. Which, as it turns out, are one in the same.

I wonder if they knew that 'they' were the only ones who thought they were popular? I mean, the rest of us just thought they were morons.

They were very good at marketing though, people looking back through those old year books would think that those are the kids that everyone wanted to be. I am here to tell you, that was not the case.

Point in fact. Recently I was at a friends wedding dance. There were quite a few teenagers there, both girls and boys. Dancing and making fools of themselves. For the life of me, I could not detect the slightest hint of intoxication.

Since we were bored, we were actually making a game of it. What songs we could get the DJ to play that would make them react like idiots? (The Spice Girls won hands down, I kid you not.)

When I was 16 I wouldn't be caught dead at a wedding dance. My friend could see the perplexed look on my face and asked, "What?"

"I always wondered what the dorks did in high school while we were partying around a bonfire in a field somewhere getting drunk and smoking dope."


Mystery solved.

Who do you think you were in high school?

4 comments:

Camille said...

I was the one with the inch-thick glasses and the goofy hairstyles and clothes that your parents FORCED you to wear (when not in that shapeless uniform, that is). The one who you looked at and said to yourself "OMG! It must hurt SO bad to be her." The one you pitied because NO ONE was her friend. The one who sat alone at the front of the classroom actually trying to pay attention so she'd get SOMEthing (anything at all, please) out of the high school experience to look back on with some positive feeling.

Evel said...

LOL Too bad you didn't go to my high school. I used to get the weirdest looks from the 'popular' kids for the spazolas I used to talk to. Although they would have never dared to say anything to me. I had a short fuse back then.

But I didn't give a shit, I decided who I thought was cool. I guess I was blissfully unaware that I was breaking the 'class' rules.

Could have been the weed. ;-)

ME! said...

I was the kid who's sport consisited of Art Honor Society. HA! I had a group of about 4-5 friends. Well, at least who I sat with at the lunch table.



All I can say is, I'm glad it's over.

Camille said...

Or could have been that independent spirit that I love so much... blossoming from even way back then. ;)

BTW: I might've been one of those spazolas ... I look back at pictures of those days and wonder how ANYone let me leave the house looking like that. =\