Saturday, February 11, 2006

...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.


I have been back on 5-1 for this past week and I have to say, I have been having a ball.

There are lots of people around, (for me to make fun of) and lots going on. And the best part of all? After 8 hours I am out of there. On that other shift (that we will not mention) after 8 hours I still had 5 to go.

What the fuck was I thinking? I thought I would miss the 4 days off, but so far I am not. I am actaully going to see my son play hockey this weekend.

An update on my sister in India. If you can believe it, she called tonight for me to help her connect to the internet from work. She is standing in the office with the tech guy asking me what to do.

Holy shit, I know enough to be dangerous. I realize that compared to her I am Stephen Hawkings, but if you are standing in an office with a tech guy, you do not call Nova Scotia and ask your sister(the tech router) how to get connected wirelessly to the server.

Then she puts the tech on the phone? WTF? As I said, I am a tech router. I know enough to be dangerous and enough to know which technician to send you to when you pooch your system. I can't tell someone on the other side of the planet how to connect to his own system. The system that he, no doubt, set up in the first place. However, I am skeptical as to his experience when he tells me (in an accent that sounds like he is talking under water) that he will try that and come back. What? Try what? What did I say?

My sister comes back on the phone, "Where did he go?" I say.

"Oh, looks like he is going to try to get reception outside." What? Where did they get this guy? "I don't understand it, the guy beside me is connecting ok to the internet." Seems like there is a group of them there, all trying to get on the internet.

"And you have no problem with some strange guy walking out of the building with your brand new laptop?"

"Uh, oh no, people aren't like that here. Besides they frisk all the men on the way out of the building."


Nice.

After pulling a few teeth trying to get some information out of the other members of her mensa party, we figure out that the reason the guy beside her is able to connect wirelessly to the internet is that he is using a device that connects to his cell phone to piggy back onto the internet. Like a fancy dial-up connection. There is no server in the building.

"Are you sending launch codes or something?"

"Huh?"

"Is there some reason you have to get connected right now?"

"No, was going to send some emails."

"Then just wait till you get back to the hotel and send them, leave that poor little man alone before he tries to climb a tree to get a signal."


My mistake was that I dazzled her earlier today with remote assistance, now she thinks I am magic.

And how was your day?

No comments: