Tuesday, June 4, 2002


I am woman...hear me roar!

I am woman and I have power tools.

Although a woman can usually get just about anything done with a rock and a butter knife, I love power tools. If I have something to do around the house and there has been a power tool invented to make it easier...I want that power tool. Mind you, there have been many a time when I get the urge to do some home improvements in the middle of the night and the rock and butter knife thing has come in pretty handy.

So far I have made a headboard for my bed (picket fence), a couple tables, a canopy for my bed, blinds for my windows, assorted shelves and my first desk was a rigged together collection of wooden shelving and barn boards (totally functional even though it was an eyesore).

When I need something "heavy" done I usually do the "girl thing" and ask a man to do it for me. Then I wait.....and wait.....and wait.....and eventually do it myself (unless it is a really shitty job, in which case I keep on waiting and just add whining to the equation).

One of my brothers is a carpenter, so when I have a carpentry job to do I ask him to help He is one of those short memory kind of guys so if I don't keep on him 24/7 he forgets. (it took him 9 months to make me a coffee table).

That's what happened this time. I want my doorstep converted into a screen porch. I was sitting on the step with the usual collection of 15 mosquito coils, and a couple hundred citronella candles and figured there had to be an easier way. So after waiting 2 weeks for advice I am going to do it myself. My brother does it.....how hard could it be?

The beauty of this sort of thing is that if it is for yourself, and you fuck it up, you only have to worry about pissing yourself off.

I will let you know how that turns out.....with any luck it will be this weekend, if I can round up the power tools I need.

MMMMMMMMM power tools! I love power tools! Urgh Urgh!

No comments: