Wednesday, December 7, 2005

What? Me complain?


We were discussing life at work the other night. How our lives turned out, and how we felt about the way it didn't as opposed to the way we thought it would in highschool. And I said, "If someone were living my life and complaining about it, I would be concerned. Does that make sense?"

Well does it? Not that my life is what anyone would consider perfect, except me. I mean I complain about things in my life, but that is more about me enjoying a good rant. If I really hated something that was going on in my life, I would get rid of it. The only thing I would like to change is my finances. But short of winning the lottery its not something I can change or waste my time worrying about.

I really think that if you are unhappy with your life you should just change it. It is that simple. There is really nothing on this planet that you can not change if you want to. Don't try and name one, I will have a simple answer for you if you do.

An outsider could look at my life and think it sucks. I have never really traveled, I never went to college, I am a single mother. I don't go to bars or party. Sounds kind of boring, but I like boring.

My perfect day would be spent alone, on the computer or watching tv. Laying on the couch in my bunny slippers. It would be a perfect day if the phone never rang. I am a simple person, and this life is not for everyone. But it is a life I chose, if I didn't like it, I would change it. That is what I meant, I am in the life I want to be in. Clear as mud, eh?

And another thing...


Here at the Undisclosed Customer Service Center™, people are always complaining about what a crappy job this is. I think it is a hoot. I mean the job itself is interesting and amusing. It's the politics within management that get to you, but I have learned to ignore most of it.

The social aspect of it is bizaar. You would never get to converse with this kind of widely diverse group if you just hit the bars. You look around at work and think that you would have never crossed paths with a lot of these people through just social gatherings.

You have 20 something Dungeons and Dragons types sitting next to 40 something bar hoppers. You got the goths sitting next to the geeks, and both are loving it because in this job the geeks are a font of information and the goths can handle a screamer like no other.

You have grandmothers sitting next to party girls. The party girls regaling you with stories of their exploits and the grandmothers shocking the party girls with stories of their biker days.

The only ones that no one wants to be around is the ones who take the job seriously, but even they are good for a laugh. After all we are not curing cancer here even if they make it seem like a matter of life and death. Those are the ones you watch closely, they are the ones who snap.

There really is never a dull moment. Even when it is so slow that someone falls asleep. The hidden frat boy in us all comes out and you end up piling candy wrappers all over the guy till his phone rings and he jumps up and sends half a bag of garbage flying all over the place.

The calls will make you pull your hair out or piss your pants laughing. But you are never at a loss for conversational material.

3 comments:

NML/Natalie said...

He he. I think your attitude towards unhappiness is spot on. People find it easier to complain about things as opposed to making real tangible change. Thanks for your comment btw :-)

Anonymous said...

yeah.. when I think about all the things I've done, places I've lived and worked and traveled (about 20 countries).. hard to beleive I was born in New Glasgow! But I won't change a thing if I was to do it over.

Anonymous said...

thank god for the stories and the comical calls, if they were all mean i would be the one to snap...lol