Sunday, June 29, 2008

You've got a lot of nerve!

My sister was here the other day and began to cry. Going on about how bad her life is, and how depressed she is. I sit back and listen. I am not heartless, but as she is going on I am deep in my own head. Assessing her life from the outside.

She has problems, sure. But she is a good looking woman, takes care of herself. She has a decent job. She owns her own home and SUV. She has a couple different guys interested in taking her out, she never had an issue with that. And to top it all off, she has a significant amount of money saved for her retirement.

I realize after a moment that she has stopped talking, "Are you fucking kidding me? That's all you got?"

She looks at me, stunned. "Between the two of us, it is me that should be depressed, not you."

Now to get her to look at what my life looks like from the outside, "What? I am fat, ugly, live pay-check to pay-check, no savings and I live with two cats. If anyone should be depressed it is me. It could be worse, you could be living my life."

However, she may be aware that this is the life I want. I am very happy with where I live and who I live (or don't live) with. Ok, I could do without the cats but I could get rid of them if I truly wanted to. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I am content. And if I wasn't? I would not be sitting around crying in my beer. I would just change it, and have done just that in the past.

As Frank says, 'Broken hearts are for assholes'. (Zappa, not Sinatra)

This is the gospel according to Evel.

~ Don't like your life? Change it. ~


Don't look at me like that! It is that simple. Once you decide to get off your lazy, depressed, self-pitying ass.

No comments: