Saturday, April 8, 2006

A fine farewell.


So, we are all sitting around last night at the Undisclosed Customer Service Center™, saying goodbye to Judith, who is moving back home to England. She and I will be working Saturday night, but for the others in our regular group, it is their last chance.

As is customary on Friday night, we ask who will be working on Saturday. Here's where the kick in the teeth comes from. Not one person replies.

It can't be just Judith and I holding down the entire fort, can it? That's a fine send off, not to mention how much that would piss me off. And, after all, it is all about me. But this time, its about Judith as well.

I immediately track down a TM. "Let me check for you. Hmmmm, let's see.......You, Judith and Brian."

"Uh, Brian?" I am trying to jog her memory and make her realize how bazaar that sounds.

"Ya, the three of you." Giving me that 'see, it's not so bad' look.

"Bri - an?" Trying again ... nothing. "The same Brian who has been in the hospital for the past month? That Brian?"

"Oh!"
LIGHT BULB! But she still gives me a blank look. She is not moving. Why isn't she moving? In my world, people should be on the horn, rectifying this situation immediately. There are people to call, people to email, things need to be done.

She is still not moving. "Uh, are you going to do something?" Still motionless. "Don't you think you need to call someone, email someone, get something done?"

"Like what?"
I can see now why I did not get this job. I would completely fuck up the curve. It is so great here, absolutely no one has your back.

"I don't know. Call around, see if anyone is willing to work. Not that they would, but it is worth a try, don't you think?"

"I'll look into it."
Translation - it does not effect me so I will push these papers around and look busy while I disregard your predicament.

"Could you look into it before next weekend. When it will be just me?"

I go back and tell Judith the good news.

"Looks like it is just you and me. Aren't you sorry your giving all this up?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ahhh scheduling...the dirtbags