Tuesday, December 12, 2006

How do you spell relief?


T-R-A-I-N-I-N-G

Day one in training. Day one of ten working days with no headset.

I was actually able to wear my hair down yesterday. Usually I have to tie it up since after about an hour you can tell where I work from the indent on my head.

I have to tell you that the new OS is very cool. They have really dumbed it down for people. However, they have built in some job security for all of us in the Undisclosed Technical Support Department™.

It's called 'features'.

As we were going though the gazillion (holy crap, that is an actual word) features in this version people were commenting that everything was so easy, and the OS was so self-healing. Then they started worrying about their jobs, "This is too easy, they won't need us."

Of course, I see the silver lining right away. "Dude, there is way too many features. How many of those crayons are going to remember where to find them, let alone use them."

"I see a lot of 'how-to' calls in my future."
Gotta love it.

I should mention that I am the only female in the class, although it did take me a couple of hours to notice. I was wondering why the class was out of control most of the time. The instructor had to stop and ask for order more than a dozen times. As I am looking around with a quizzical look on my face, the instructor notices and asks me if I have a question.

"No, I just realized why your having such a hard time keeping control."

"Oh?"

"The testosterone level in this room is off the charts. This many men in one room? You can't be surprised they revert to being 12 year olds."


And it wasn't ten minutes later that I was proven right. The instructor lost control of the children once again and tried an old elementary school trick, "Joe! You want to come up here and teach this class?" He was just about to say 'then shut the fuck up' when Joe piped up and said, "Sure," and got out of his seat. "what page are we on?"

He totally shocked the instructor. The poor man did not know what to do, I could tell he was at a loss as he watched the little shit get up from his seat and make his way to the front of the class. I had had enough, I don't have time for this crap, so before the idiot could make it to the front, I piped up, "Excuse me, I don't know about anyone else but I would much rather learn this shit from a professional."

We did manage to get a few things done after that, however, total control was never achieved.

Hopefully he can move this shit along at a little faster pace, I am growing old over here!

3 comments:

mist1 said...

"Joe! You want to come up here and teach this class?"

It makes me laugh that people still use this line. That would be like if my dad threatened to turn "this damn car around."

Anonymous said...

Like "do you want something to cry about?" God I hated that line LOL Well that's cool, no phone for 2 weeks, sweet deal even with the kindergarden crew.

Aeon said...

"Excuse me, I don't know about anyone else but I would much rather learn this shit from a professional."

Burn! You've just given me a big ol' laugh with that post. ^_^