Sunday, July 30, 2006

Protest!


Why do people insist that there is no way in hell I could possibly be happy?

I was telling my sister, that if she didn't like her life, just change it. There is really no excuse for not being happy.

She rolled her eyes. "Like you're happy."

"As a matter of fact, I am."
She looked at me like 'who you trying to fool?'

People look at me and my life, and they think that they would not be happy in it, therefore, I couldn't possibly be.

How do I explain it? It's like trying to convince the doctor you are not crazy after you are in the insane asylum.

If I didn't like my life, I would change it. It's pretty simple if you think about it. I like my job, my apartment, my free time is my own. Mind you, I wouldn't say no to a boat-load of money, but I have enough to live on.

Why don't we examine my sister's theory of my unhappiness.
"Your overweight." So, does it bother you? It doesn't bother me. I like to eat and I don't like to exercise. Why would I do things I don't like. (Hey, I walk to the car.)

I could torture and deprive myself for a year and the day I unveil the belly button ring I could step off the curb and get hit by a bus.

"You don't go anywhere." But I don't want to go anywhere. Bars don't appeal to me. I don't really like to drink, I think it's a waste of money. I have no patience for idiots and assholes (the main species that frequent those establishments) so I would probably end the evening in a fight. I would much rather sit in your kitchen and shoot the shit.

"You just sit at that computer all day." I like the computer. I am good at it. I find it interesting. Your just jealous cuz you don't even know how to turn yours on.

"You live alone." I wish, I live with the boy. I can't wait to live alone.

"But you don't have anyone." Ok, I get it, a man, your talking about a man. Well I have two. They just don't live with me, I 'visit' them, get 'er done and leave.

The only rational reason for having a man living in your house is to kill bugs and move furniture. The boy kills bugs and I like where my furniture is. I lived with the boys father for 11 years. I did my time.

My sister, on the other hand, is miserable and the reason she is miserable is because she chooses to be. There can be no other explanation for it. She works, so she does not need a man to take care of her. So why else would she let any man make her miserable?

"Hubby does 'this or that' and it drives me crazy!"

"Have you told him to fuck off and stop doing that?"

"No, he knows it drives me crazy."
No he doesn't. Men are not psychic. They do not know that you don't like something unless you open your fucking mouth and say so. That is why every single one of them have this daft look of surprise on their face when you tell them you are leaving. They had no idea anything was wrong.

Here is my philosophy: If someone does something to piss you off, tell that person 'hey, that pisses me off'.

If they continue to piss you off, its on them. But if you never tell that person they piss you off, its your own damn fault.

If you don't like your job, get another one. If you don't like your man, ditto. But don't sit around complaining about things you have total control over and refuse to take control of.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen, sistah!

Anonymous said...

Why do so many people think they need someone else to make them happy?????
It's YOUR job to makek YOU happy no one else is responsible for your happyness.. get over it!

Arnold said...

Great philosophy and great blog. I wish I had your way with words and ability to be so honest about your feelings.