Thursday, March 5, 2009

Maybe there is a reason 'Y' its so short.

I work in tech support and without telling you who I work for, after the road trip, I now support the fancy digital TV boxes that you all have in your homes.

Problem is, I don't even have cable. So when people call up saying this menu and that menu is showing this and that? I have no idea what they are talking about. Tech support is, well, tech support. When the box doesn't work or is giving the wrong info, I can fix that. But I have no idea how to change the color of your guide, I have no idea what you are looking at.

I had cable when the boy was here but that was because I understand that with testosterone comes the uncontrollable urge to click through channels without any real purpose. It's not his fault, he is built that way. Men just love the clicker, they can't help themselves. Even if they are watching a show they have been waiting all week to see. As soon as the commercial comes on, they start clicking through the channels. Its instinctive, primal, like it is built into their DNA. Something to do with the XY chromosome. Might explain the short attention span. I am sure scientists are looking into it.

I on the other hand with my simple XX makeup would just be irritated when he did this and therefore never watched the tv. As soon as he moved out, the digital box went with him. I never saw the point of having 600 channels when (you know yourself) you can only name about a dozen television shows that are even worth watching, if that. So you click through the 600 channels, even with the fancy guide they have, by the time you find the show you think you might like to watch, its 15 minutes into it.

Oh they tell me you have to plan ahead and tag the shows that you might like to watch in the future...blah blah blah. Contrary to popular belief, I have a life, shit to do, and if there is a show I want to watch, I just download it and watch it. Done.

Anyway, I digress. After three days of trying to visualize what the customer is talking about when they say, "Then I get to this one menu that has a circle with a red line through it, do I hit that?" I broke. Today I am sitting here waiting for the cable guy to bring me the testosterone box and tonight I have a date with the clicker.

The sooner I get to know this thing inside and out, the sooner I can get rid of the stupid thing.

Forced into the realm of the channel surfers. Here's hoping that X doesn't shrink into a Y.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You would think that they would give you a free one so that you can better serve your customers and follow through with them step-by-step. (plus get free cable lol)

Anonymous said...

screw you, i pay out the ass for it so you better too! LOL i love flicking, why is it only men can flick? i am the remote hog. i love the tv guide. i get pissed off when i go to visit dad and he gets me to flick channels because there is no guide on his crappy regular cable setup. *sigh* it's fun, but it's annoying when the guide doesn't match what's on. fix that so it doesn't happen anymore will ya? lol