Saturday, June 9, 2007

I love my son. I love my son. I love my son.

I do love my son. No really, I do. But The Boy and I are just about done with all this togetherness shit. For two weeks I have been on a ridiculous day shift. 7 AM to 3 PM. I leave work and my legs are all rubbery and I am dizzy, it is not a pretty sight.

They put us on the phone for an hour yesterday and I was trying to send my closing email. I was looking at this word and for the life of me I couldn't comprehend that it was actually a word. Yvette was sitting beside me, and I had to ask.

"RESOLVED. Is that even a word?" I was pronouncing it like RE SOLVE. You solve and then re-solve. It just didn't sound like it was even in the dictionary. I kid you not. I do not function well in the day time.

Back in the good ole days of 5pm - 1am, I would drive The Boy to the bus in the morning, go back to bed, pick him up at the bus stop at 3:30, drop him at home and go to work. When I got home, he was asleep and the next day we would do it all again. We only really had to co-exist on the weekend and that was plenty. It was heaven.

During the last two weeks, when I get home, he was there. Bored. The second he walks through the door, "I'm bored."

"You can't be bored, the door hasn't even shut behind you."

"I am bored, there is nothing to do."

"How do you even know that?"

"I know."
I try to ignore him.

I am on the couch, beat to a snot. I am trying hard not to fall asleep or I will be up at midnight. I have that seedy feeling, like it's 5pm on the day after a big drunk. "God, I am bored!"

"What exactly do you want me to do about it?"

"Let's go for a drive?"

"Are you kidding me? I am not even sure I can get off this couch. When did it become my job to entertain you?"
All I can imagine is my blood pressure rising, not exactly a day in the country driving with a sixteen year old. Absolutely not a stress reliever driving with The Boy. But The Boy is like Chinese water torture. He never lets up. The other night I had to go to bed at 7:30.

"What? Why are you going to bed so early?"

"To get away from you, I can't take it another second."
I kiss his forehead. "Love ya, good night."

Thankfully, I have one day shift left on Monday (don't ask me why) and then we go back to being two ships passing in the night.

And not a moment too soon.

6 comments:

Knock knock - it's cancer! said...

Awww...you guys. It's like a delicate balance that can't be disturbed, eh?

Cattiva said...

Yup...just a few more days, and then I will be trapped here with my "bored" children. For f@cks sake, with a gagillion dollars in electronics around here, you'd think they could find something to do.

Evel said...

Oh no...it is your job to entertain them. More to the point, it is their job to irritate the hell out of you.

Anonymous said...

Irritate?! Yes, that's a good word for them. Right now mine is bugging me with 'When are you going to New York? Huh, When?!' God love him he thinks he's getting the house for three days - LMAO - little does he know that my spare keys are coming with me!

Anna

Anonymous said...

speaking as an only child who also grew up with a single mom, you should have had more. we could have entertained ourselves. however, we are one. so, you must entertain. LMAO

Virginia Belle said...

you can always use the standard reply my mom uses on us:

"only boring people are bored."

for some reason, this always lighted a fire under our butts to find something to do. no one wants to be a boring person.

it's worth a shot, right? at the very least, you will annoy him right back. trust me.

wait, doesn't he have homework???