Saturday, April 18, 2009

It's BBQ Season!

Shut up! It is so!

I went for groceries the other day and all the grilling meat was on sale. Pork chops, steak, kabobs. Definitely a sign that BBQ season is finally here. So, of course, I stock up. After all, that is how I roll. I don't cook but I do BBQ.

I am lugging all this meat, potatoes and salad makings, not to mention the full tank of propane up two flights of stairs, dreaming about the feast to come.

I put all the groceries away, wrap up the potatoes in tinfoil and carry them to the BBQ. I hoist the tank into position and grab the hose to connect it and it comes off in my hand. WTF?

I look under it and it is all rotted out. NOOOOOO! I have all this BBQ stuff and now no BBQ. After five minutes of contemplation and the realization that even boiling water inside my apartment sets the fire alarm off, I head off to Wally World. There is no way I can cook this shit inside my house, I need a new BBQ.

I hate Walmart. I mean really hate Walmart, but it has to be done. I won't bore you with the details, but it ended in a standoff with the greeter. Again it ended with me informing him that he could only frisk me in the event the alarm went off.

Anyway, 7:20pm I exit the store.

I thought about waiting for The Boy to hoist this huge box up the stairs but, of course, I don't have the patience and I am starving at this point.

I crack open the box at the top of the stairs and my heart sinks. In no way does this look easy. Its in a million pieces. An hour later I only have the legs put together and I am freezing my ass off. So, I lug it all into the kitchen.



This would be much easier with actual instructions, but all I get is diagrams.


And this is just the first 8 steps, there are 16 in all.

At least it came with tools and a thousand screws. Groan!


Getting the legs together nearly broke me. Don't look too impressed, I put this together backwards, this is the second attempt.


The carnage continues. Sammy is not impressed.


Finally, at 11pm, (three and a half hours after purchase) I am BBQing.


I was freezing my ass off but it was soooo worth it.

3 comments:

kelly said...

was this the hundred dollar job? we were looking at it. lemme know if it's any good!

Evel said...

It was $89. And ya, not bad. No rocks or anything so you have to clean the (whatchamacallit) that covers the burner, but other than that it works great.

kelly said...

wicked, i want one!